Tolland is now a place for summer homes, and many of the original buildings,
both log and frame construction, still stand. Originally, Tolland was called
Mammoth, named for Mammoth Gulch immediately above the town. The small town
was renamed Tolland for the Charles B. Toll family, after their ancestral
home in England. Mrs. Toll, in fact, was the postmistress and operated a
Originally a mining town, Tollland became a stage stop for the route over Rollins Pass to Middle Park. The post office, originally located in Baltimore, was moved in 1904 to Tolland and was active until 1944.
The schoolhouse sits near the original town site close to the railroad tracks.
Click on an image for a larger version.
This page was last updated 01/27/07
Copyright 2007 by Mark Baldwin