Gunnell Gold Mining and Milling Company
Mile Post 40.44
The Gunnell Mine was located on the south side of Prosser Gulch just west of Central City. The Gunnell vein was located in 1859; however extensive development was not begun until 1874. At the close of 1875 the shaft was 700 feet deep. The property was operated intermittently from 1874 until 1904 when the shaft house burned and the mine flooded. The Newhouse Tunnel drained this mine in 1909 and work was resumed.
The Gilpin Tramway reached the Gunnell Mine with its track before the end of December in 1887. Before the end of September 1888 the tramway had also laid a sidetrack at this mine. (Gilpin Railroad Station Listing, Abbott)
The Gunnell Mine provided the first trainload of ore on the
Gilpin Tram, shipping a six-car train on December 11, 1887, to the Meade
Mill in Black Hawk. Although this ore vein was discovered during the
original 1859 gold rush, mining began in earnest in the 1870s. Terry Cox, in
his book Inside the Mountains, A History of Mining Around Central City,
Colorado (published in 1989 by Pruett Publishing Company), writes that this
mine produced 206,000 ounces of gold between 1859 and 1938. The Gunnell Mine
seems to have been worked simultaneously with the Grand Army shaft. This was
a large producer: by comparison, the Old Town Mine, which was the largest
shipper on the Gilpin Tram, produced 132,000 ounces of gold by 1944.
This page was last updated 01/27/07
Copyright 2007 by Mark Baldwin