The Old Town Mine was above Russell Gulch.
Near Mile Post 43.2
Mines Along The Gilpin Tramway: Old Town Mine
by Dan Abbott
The Old Town Mine is located in the Russell Mining District, near the village of Russell, Colorado. This mine developed one of the largest and most persistent pyritic loads of the district. Some of the earliest development was done through the Wautauga Shaft, about 600 feet north of the Old Town Shaft. The unusual controversy in regard to Apex Right's began when the juncture was discovered, but was settled by consolidation of the interest.
The Old Town property covered 22 patented claims or parts of claims, having a total area of about 40 acres. This mine was partially owned and entirely controlled by George K Kimball - a mining engineer from Idaho Springs. He was connected with this property for a period of over 20 years. Lafayette Hanchett, also of Idaho Springs, held a third interest in this mine in 1904.
The Old Town Mine had a gross tonnage value of about $2,700,000, of which over $400,000 was profit to the owners of the mine. The underground workings of the Old Town Mine were approximately five miles in extent. The main shaft was 2,205 feet deep, on a dip of about 45" from vertical. 21 levels ran from the main shaft at distances of 100 feet apart. The lowest level was 14, 336 feet long, and connected with the Newhouse (later known as Argo) Tunnel, by a 5x7 tunnel, 4,326 feet long, known as the "Hot Time Lateral", which by 1917 was used only for drainage and ventilation.
All ore mined through the Old Town Shaft was carried to Black Hawk and concentrated ore shipped vie the Colorado & Southern Railway to the Jackson mine in Idaho Springs.
Apparently, during November and December of 1909, changes took place in the trackage at the Old Town Mine Spur - which amounted to 1,711 feet of side track - resulting in a cost of $818.96.
This page was last updated 01/27/07
Copyright 2007 by Mark Baldwin